Formal Letter

Dear Professor Brad Blackstone,

I am Krithaisha Vijayakumar, a student in your Effective Communication class. You can call me Kris as most find it is hard to pronounciate my name. I am writing this letter to you to briefly introduce myself. 

I graduated from Nanyang Polytechnic with Diploma in Aerospace System and Management. I decided to pursue and further my studies with Degree in  Mechanical Engineering at the Singapore Institute of Technology. 

My course in Polytechnic focuses both on-ground operations and hands-on engineering skills. During my internship with Changi Airport Group, it was an eventful experience as I got to witness firsthand how the ground operations worked during a pandemic. Every day was an interesting aspect to learn in terms of customer service and handling tough situations. But there was always a calling for me to be in the engineering side of aerospace engineering. This sparked my interest which led me to further my studies in Mechanical engineering. 

My strength in communication is that I am an effective listener. The main factor of communication is that being able to efficiently absorb information is crucial to communicating. This ability allows me to engage in more in-depth conversations with others and obtain a better understanding of their viewpoints. Working in Changi Airport you need to understand how the passenger's point of view and what they are trying to convey to you to reduce their stress while traveling. 

My weakness is I get nervous while presenting in front of my classmates. While I am presenting my nerve will get the best of me and I will tend to blank out. I would try to pace my breathing and try my best in what I have already memorized, but sometimes it might not work and I need to improve on it. 

My aim for this module is to work on my weakness and better myself while engaging with my fellow classmates while presenting or discussing. I want to become more confident and keep my audience engaged. 

I look forward to attending your class. Thank you professor for taking the time to get to know us individually.


Yours Sincerely,


Krithaisha Vijayakumar

Comments

  1. Hi Kris. Thank you for your post, I enjoyed reading it. I like how you related your work experience in Changi Airport to your strength. I am totally agree with you that being efficient listener leads me to have in-depth conversation with other people. Furthermore, many people get nervousness while presenting, it is quite common. You should not worry too much on it, and you just need more practice through this module. I hope you can get more confidence and presentation skills at the end of this module.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi SeongUng

      Thank you so much for the feedback. Your advice have inspired me to do better in my presentation skills.

      Best Regards
      Kris

      Delete
  2. Hello Kris,

    Great work on your introductory letter and I have learnt a lot about you. I enjoyed reading your letter as it showed me how your interest grew throughout your internship.

    I completely agree with your strength. Listening is often overlooked, even though it is required in all conversation.

    I believe that you will be able to overcome your weakness throughout the duration of the course and be a better version of yourself.

    Best regards
    Bing Rui

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Bing Rui

      Thank you so much for your feedback. We can overcome our weakness together, we shall be a better presentor after this 3 years course.

      Best Regards
      Kris

      Delete
  3. Dear Kris,

    Thank you for this clear, concise and informative letter. You do a good job covering the scope of the assignment as you explain your educational background, study/career aim and internship at Changi Airport, and then connect the work experience to your comm skills level. You add your goals for the module. What's noteworthy is your well-roundedness and the honest reflection on the lack of confidence when presenting. I'm also amazed at how much you seem to have been required to do in the internship.

    At the same time, your language use is fluent but there are a few areas to take note of in this letter:

    1. over use of caps
    -- your Effective Communication class > ?
    -- My course in Polytechnic
    -- This sparked my interest which led me to further my studies in Mechanical engineering. > ?
    -- Yours Sincerely, > Yours sincerely,

    2. verb issues
    -- My course in Polytechnic focuses... > (past or present?)

    3. sentence structure
    -- During my internship with Changi Airport Group, it was an eventful experience as... >
    My internship with Changi Airport Group was an eventful experience as....

    4. phrasing / word choice
    -- Working in Changi Airport you need to understand how the passenger's point of view and what they are trying to convey to you to reduce their stress while traveling. > (Try to avoid using 'you' with the reader.) ?

    I look forward to learning more about you this term.

    Best wishes,

    Brad

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Dear Professor Brad Blackstone,

      I really appreciate you for taking your time to comment and for the advice given. It is really insightful. I will make the amendements needed. Thank you.

      Best Regards
      Kris


      Delete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Critical reflection

Summary Reader Response Draft #4